The Chesterton Downtown will be hopping on Saturday, as this yearís edition
of Hooked on Art, this seasonís last edition of Cruise Night, and the
regular weekly European Market all converge to offer Dunelanders a
But parking will be at a premium in the area, beginning Friday evening, and
through-motorists are being encouraged to avoid the Downtown and the
headaches associated with a number of road closures.
The parking bans:
* From 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 27, to 8 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 28, there will be
no parking on the west side of South Calumet Road from the Norfolk-Southern
grade-crossing to Broadway; no parking along Broadway between South Calumet
Road and Second Street; and no parking along Second Street between Broadway
and the beginning of the alley just south of Broadway.
* From 3 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 28, there will be no parking along
Broadway between Second Street and Third Street; and no parking in the
Duneland Chamber of Commerce parking lot.
* Parking will also be limited along Broadway as far west as Fourth Street.
The road closures:
* From 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 27, to 8 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 28, Broadway will
be closed between South Calumet Road and Second Street; and Second Street
will be closed between Broadway and the alley just south of Broadway.
* From 5 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 28, Broadway will be closed between
Second Street and Fourth Street; and Third Street will be closed to the
alley between Broadway and West Indiana Ave.
The Chesterton Police Department is urging folks not attending any of the
events to avoid the Downtown. Street barricades will be in place.