* Turkey Trot 10K sponsored by Porter Regional Hospital -- On
Thursdays from Oct. 3 to Nov. 28 Becky Kreiger, RRCA certified running coach
and experienced runner Dan Sturgell will help you get to your 10K (6.2
miles) goal so that you can successfully complete the Turkey Trot 10K on
Nov. 28. The practices run from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. You must be able to run 3
miles. Program fee includes race registration and T-shirt, weekly training
schedule, check-ins, workout tips and motivational emails. The first meeting
will be at Sunset Hill Farm County Park and following meetings will be at
Valparaiso High School.
* Reiki Level 1 -- On Oct. 12, from 1-4 p.m. at Brincka-Cross Gardens
this class will teach you techniques to increase and direct that energy for
relaxation and optimal well being. Reiki is a Japanese technique for working
with the life energy that flows through our bodies. Cost for the class is
* Reiki Level 2 -- Continue your learning and practice in the art of
Reiki on Oct. 19 from 1-4 p.m. at Brincka-Cross Gardens. This class will add
to what you learned in the Reiki Level 1 class.
* Young Artists at Sunset Hill Farm County Park -- Instructor Shirley
Massey will lead a youth painting instruction class for all skill levels,
where the focus of the project is different each month. Participants will
create and take home their project the same day. The class will be at Sunset
Hill Farm from 1 to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 12. Cost is $8.
* Friday Family Campouts - On Oct. 18, grab your tent, some hot dogs
and marshmallows and join other families for this affordable fun night of
camping at Sunset Hill Farm County Park. Set up is from 5 to 7 p.m. with
programing beginning at 6 p.m.
* Seance - It’s the time of the year when the Veil Between the Worlds
grows thin. The perfect time to attempt to make contact with departed
spirits. On Oct. 19, join paranormal investigator and amateur historian
Jayde Petersen at Brincka-Cross Gardens from 7-9 p.m. as she, along with the
help of her associate, will employ traditional techniques to make contact
with those who have gone before us. This is a serious inquiry, conducted in
a respectful and mature manner. Participants must be over the age of 21 and
willing to abide by the rules set forth at the event.
Cost is $20.
* Restorative Yoga/Meditation Retreat - On Oct. 20, join Instructor
Cynthia Smith at Brincka Cross Gardens from 1-4 p.m. for a restorative
retreat that will focus on both mind and body. Cost is $35.
* Gentle Yoga for Seniors sponsored by Porter Regional Hospital --
This Gentle Yoga class, taught by a Yogafit Certified Instructor, will teach
you the basics of gentle yoga while sitting in your chair. Sessions will be
on Thursdays Oct. 24 through Nov. 21, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Hebron
* Dream Interpretation - Joyce Scully, Ph.D. Psychology on Oct. 26
will provide an intimate and supportive environment in which to decode your
dreams from 1-3:30 p.m. Learn tips for remembering and recording dreams and
recognizing common symbols. Cost is $20
* Save the Date! “Winter Lights Night” Festival will be on Saturday,
Nov. 16 from 3-7 p.m. with a grand finale firework display at 7:30 p.m. to
end the evening. Visit Santa, decorate cookies, wagon rides, crafts, game
and breathtaking light displays throughout the park. Only $5 per car.