Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Spark ignites oily rags at BH facility

Back To Front Page

A spark thrown by a shear on Wednesday caused a small fire at Steel Cities Steels at 395 Melton Road, the Burns Harbor Fire Department said.

Fire Chief Bill Arney told the Chesterton Tribune today that, at 1:45 p.m., firefighters responded to a report of a structural fire at the processing facility. On their arrival, employees had knocked down most of the fire, which began when a spark thrown by a steel shear ignited oily rags in a garbage can. The fire then caught a wall on fire.

Firefighters used a water can to finish the job and performed a small amount of overhaul.

Arney estimated damage at $500.

The BHFD cleared the scene at 2:03 p.m.

Gas Leak

at ArcelorMittal

Earlier in the day, at 10:08 a.m., the BHFD assisted AlliedBarton firefighters after a natural gas line ruptured in the boiler room of ArcelorMittal’s corporate building in Burns Harbor.

The building was evacuated and firefighters shut off the gas line. A company utility service crew was then called to repair the breach.

The BHFD cleared the scene at 11:30 a.m.

 

 

Posted 6/7/2013