The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) has announced a road work
moratorium beginning around 12 p.m. Friday, May 24, until the morning hours
of Tuesday, May 28, to allow drivers a safer and more efficient holiday
Wherever possible, road restrictions will be removed to ease traffic flow
for the influx of holiday drivers. Some closures and restrictions, however,
will remain on larger projects which cannot be safely reopened to traffic
for the weekend.
Around the Northwest Indiana District of INDOT those restrictions which will
remain in effect include the following:
* Ind. 152 (Indianapolis Blvd.) in Hammond: the closure of Nine Span Bridge
over the IHB Rail Yard, for bridge replacement.
* U.S. 12 (Fifth Ave.) in Gary: lane restrictions in place between three
miles west of I-65 and one mile east of I-65, for road reconstruction.
* U.S. Highway 6, in Kingsford Heights, just south of LaPorte: the closure
of the U.S. 6 Bridge closed two miles east of the western U.S. 6 junction
with U.S. Highway 35 (just north of Meadowbrook Blvd.), for bridge
* I-94, near Chesterton: lane restrictions in both directions on
bridge over Beam Street, just east of U.S. Highway 20 exit, for bridge deck
* I-94, near Portage: lane restrictions in both directions on bridge one
mile east of Toll Road ramp, for bridge deck replacement.
The public can stay informed about any road restrictions or traffic tie-ups
throughout the holiday weekend by liking the INDOT Northwest Indiana