Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Sand Creek home damaged by fire

Back To Front Page

No one was injured in two weekend fires, one of which caused substantial damage to a home in the Estates of Sand Creek.

Chesterton Fire Chief Mike Orlich told the Chesterton Tribune today that, at 6:47 p.m. Sunday, the CFD was dispatched to the Donovan family home at 1708 Amen Corner Court, in response to a report of a chimney fire in a barbecue grill. On arrival, Orlich said, firefighters discovered that the grill was built into the side of the home and that the blaze had already extended into the residential structure.

“It had extended into the chimney chase of the home, went through a gas fireplace, and was in the floor structure,” Orlich said.

The CFD--with assistance from the Porter and Liberty Township Volunteer departments--used around 1,500 gallons to douse the blaze but was forced to do a lot of overhaul to get at the fire, Orlich said.

The CFD cleared the scene at 9:38 p.m. but returned again on Monday morning, after light smoke was reported in the home. Firefighters discovered that laminated floor joists were smoldering.

Orlich estimated damage to the structure at $50,000 and that to contents at $20,000.

The cause of the blaze, Orlich added: a grease fire in the barbecue grill.

Suspicious Fire

Earlier in the weekend, at 6:35 p.m. Friday, a 19th century log cabin--moved some 20 years ago to a wooded area behind the Galvin home at 901 Shannon Drive--was extensively damaged in what Orlich called a “suspicious fire.”

The cabin was part of the original farm on which the subdivision was later built, Orlich said.

Orlich was unable to give an estimate of the damage to the cabin but said that it was being used for storage.

The Porter and Liberty Township Volunteer departments assisted the CFD at the scene, which firefighters cleared at 8:03 p.m.

The CPD is assisting the CFD in its investigation.

 

 

Posted 5/28/2013