Chesterton Tribune

 
 

Heat tape in mobile home causes minor fire today

Back to Front Page
 

 

 
 

 

 

No one was injured or displaced early this morning following a minor fire in the skirting of a mobile home at 404 Broadmoor Drive, the Liberty Township Volunteer Fire Department said.

LTVFD Assistant Chief Tom Shapen told the Chesterton Tribune today that firefighters were dispatched to the home around 3:30 a.m. after residents reported smoke. On his arrival, a “light smoke” was showing beneath the home and there was a “light haze inside,” prompting Shapen to summon the Chesterton and South Haven departments under an automatic aid arrangement.

Firefighters proceeded to remove the mobile home’s skirting and found that the insulation wrapping the plumbing had ignited, apparently after heat tape used to keep the pipes from freezing had overheated, Shapen said.

About 100 gallons of water were used to douse the fire and then firefighter cleared the area under the home and checked for extension. None was found, Shapen said. Firefighters also ventilated the interior of the residence.

The residents refused medical transport, all pets were accounted for, and the home remained habitable, Shapen said.

Shapen estimated total damage “very roughly” at under $1,000.

The LTVFD cleared the scene around 5 a.m.

 

Posted 1/30/2013