Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Grease fire at Third Coast Spice Cafe

Back To Front Page

It probably looked, to passers-by, like a much bigger deal than fortunately it turned out to be.

A grease fire filled the Third Coast Spice Cafe with smoke after closing on Saturday but Chesterton firefighters were able to douse the small blaze with a minimum of muss and fuss.

Capt. Tony Coslet told the Chesterton Tribune today that, at 6:40 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to the Third Coast Spice Cafe at 761 Indian Boundary Road after heavy smoke was seen coming from the roof vent.

Also dispatched to the scene, under an automatic aid agreement: the Porter and Liberty Township Volunteer departments.

On their arrival, firefighters did observe smoke both inside the building and out, swirling from the roof vent which serves the restaurant’s hood system. But Third Coast was closed and entry had to be forced into the business through the front door, Coslet said.

Inside, in the kitchen, firefighters found a large stock pot on a stove containing butter, with “three feet of flame coming off the top of it.” The stove had inadvertently been left on, causing a grease fire, Coslet said.

“We used very minimal water,” Coslet noted. “The hood system activated and did what it’s designed to do.”

There was no damage to the restaurant other than a “light haze of smoke,” which prompted the CFD to ventilate the premises. Also ventilated: the business next door, MOMs Method, due to some seepage of smoke.

Firefighters did check for extension and deployed the ladder truck to get a good look at the roof of the building. No actual overhaul was necessary, however, Coslet said.

The CFD cleared the scene at 8:07 p.m.

This morning the Third Coast Spice Cafe’s phone went straight to voice mail.

 

Posted 7/28/2014