Chesterton Tribune


Four year sentence for fatal OWI

Back to Front Page




A Center Township man has been sentenced to four years in prison after pleading guilty to driving drunk and killing a Rockville, Ind., motorcyclist in an accident last year.

On Jan. 3, David Corbett, 61, with a listed address of 225 W. U.S. Highway 30, was sentenced to eight years in the Indiana Department of Correction, with four years suspended and to be served on formal probation.

Corbett had pleaded guilty to operating while intoxicated with a blood alcohol content over .08 percent and causing death, a Class C felony punishable by a term of two to eight years.

In his sentencing order, Porter Superior Court Judge Roger Bradford made note of two aggravating circumstances: Corbett’s criminal history and the fact that his driver’s license was suspended at the time of the crash. Bradford found no mitigating circumstances.

Bradford also ordered Corbett to undergo substance abuse evaluation and to complete any recommended treatment and to make restitution of $12,681.26 in periodic payments, with the balance to be paid no later than two months prior to the conclusion of his probation period.

In addition, Bradford suspended Corbett’s license for five years following his release from prison.

Corbett will be eligible for release after serving half his sentence, or two years. He will receive credit for 21 days of time already served.

According to the Porter County Sheriff’s Police, at 1:43 p.m. June 21, 2011, Corbett was westbound on C.R. 600S in Pleasant Township when he disregarded the stop sign at the intersection of Ind. 49 and his 1995 Mitsubishi Montero collided with Howard Schwartz, 61, who was northbound on Ind. 49 on his 2003 Harley Davidson.

Schwartz was pronounced dead at the scene.

Corbett advised at the time that he was westbound on C.R. 600S and approaching the intersection, police said. “He believed the roadway was clear and looked both ways, then continued forward. (Corbett) stated he didn’t see a headlight and was struck by the motorcycle. (Corbett) stated on multiple occasions . . . that he ran the stop sign and the crash was his fault.”

Police said that Corbett showed signs of intoxication, failed several field sobriety tests, and registered a B.A.C. of .10 percent on a portable breath test. Corbett subsequently consented to a blood draw, two of which were conducted at Porter hospital, one at 3:30 p.m., the second at 4:01 p.m.

Corbett was also charged with driving while suspended-prior, police said.



Posted 1/9/2013