No one was injured
Sunday in a house fire at 1571 Birdie Way, the Chesterton Fire Department
Fire Chief John
Jarka told the Chesterton Tribune late on Sunday that, at 3:10 p.m.,
the CFD--along with the Porter, Liberty Township, and Portage FDs--were
dispatched to the scene following an initial police report of “smoke and
fire on the exterior of the house with the house on fire.”
A first alarm was
accordingly requested, which mustered the Burns Harbor, Beverly Shores,
Washington Township, and Valparaiso FDs as well.
All mutual aid
units were subsequently disregarded, however, after Jarka--first on the
scene--determined that the fire “was mostly on the exterior of the house.”
On the arrival of the CFD’s engine, firefighters “quickly extinguished the
fire,” Jarka said.
The cause of the
fire: “improperly disposed of ashes placed in a plastic container next to
the house,” Jarka said. “It could have been worse.”
There were “no
injuries and all occupants of the home are safe and uninjured,” Jarka said.
He did add that some damage was caused to the house’s gas meter, and a
NIPSCO crew was on the scene for several hours making repairs.
The CFD cleared the
scene at 4:42 p.m.