Chesterton Tribune

 

 

CFD responds to minor stove fire Sunday evening

Back To Front Page

A cooking incident filled an apartment on West Porter Ave. with smoke on Sunday, the Chesterton Fire Department said.

Capt. Jamie Hicks told the Chesterton Tribune today that, at 10:47 p.m., the CFD was dispatched to a rental unit at 1623 W. Porter Ave., after a tenant had fallen asleep while cooking. On firefighter’s arrival, however, the tenant had himself doused the fire and begun to ventilate his home.

The CFD cleared the scene at 11:01 p.m.

Vehicle Fire on I-94

Earlier in the evening, at 8:34 p.m., the CFD was dispatched to the 30 mile marker on westbound I-94, where a fire had ignited in the engine compartment of a 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier being driven by a Michigan City woman on her way to work.

Firefighters used 200 gallons to extinguish the blaze.

Hicks said that the car was probably a total loss and cited a general rule of thumb that any vehicle which burns more than five minutes is likely to be considered totaled.

The CFD cleared the scene at 9:05 p.m.

 

 

Posted 4/22/2013