Chesterton Tribune

 

 

CFD: Heat lamp in lizard tank may have malfunctioned

Back To Front Page

A malfunctioning heat lamp for a reptile tank is believed to have started a fire on Wednesday at a residence in the 1200 block of Arbutus Drive in Westchester Township, the Chesterton Fire Department said.

Capt. Tony Coslet told the Chesterton Tribune today that firefighters were dispatched to the residence at 3:06 p.m. in response to a report of a bedroom fire. On their arrival, they found that a carpet and mattress in the bedroom had ignited.

The CFD successfully contained the blaze to the bedroom of the one-story ranch house and used around 50 gallons of water to douse it.

Assisting at the scene were the Porter, Burns Harbor, Liberty Township, Pine Township, and Beverly Shores departments.

The fire remains under investigation but Coslet said that it was “purely accidental” in origin and may have started when the heating lamp for a lizard’s tank malfunctioned.

The lizard, of unknown species, perished, Coslet said.

Neither the home’s occupants nor any firefighters were injured.

Coslet preliminarily estimated damage at $2,500 to the structure and $5,000 to contents.

The CFD cleared the scene at 4:22 p.m.

 

Posted 1/16/2014