Chesterton Tribune

 
 

CFD extinguishes small fire at Wendy's

Back to Front Page
 

 

 
 

 

Chesterton firefighters doused a kitchen fire early Sunday at the Wendy’s restaurant at 748 Indian Boundary Road.

Capt. Tony Coslet told the Chesterton Tribune today that the CFD was dispatched at 12:27 a.m. in response to a report of a small kitchen fire. On their arrival, firefighters observed smoke showing at the business, then discovered that a grill unit had ignited.

The CFD—assisted by the Porter Fire Department, which responded under an automatic mutual aid agreement governing structure fires—used 250 gallons of water to extinguish the blaze. Firefighters also opened a wall behind the grill to ensure that there had been no extension, Coslet said. “Nothing was found.”

Although the restaurant was closed for business at the time, employees were cleaning up when the fire broke out, apparently after a worker, instead of turning off the grill unit, had inadvertently turned up the temperature to maximum, Coslet said.

Damage was estimated at $2,000 to the structure and $8,000 to contents.

The CFD cleared the scene at 2 a.m.

 

 

Posted 10/29/2012