Chesterton Tribune



Buy fireworks only from licensed vendors; know the local ordinance

Back To Front Page

As Indiana rolls into the summer and fireworks season, Hoosiers are being reminded by the State Fire Marshal to purchase fireworks only licensed vendors.

Fireworks vendors of any kind must be licensed to sell fireworks in state and be in possession of a permit from the Indiana Department of Homeland Security's Fire and Building Safety Division, overseen by the State Fire Marshal.

Fireworks vendor permits must be displayed on the wall in the stores. If you don't see one, ask an employee to see it. If the permit can't be produced, call the State Fire Marshal at (317) 232-2222.

Consumers should also remember that only those 18 years of age or older may purchase fireworks. Without a special permit, moreover, it is only legal to buy 1.4G consumer fireworks. This includes bottle rockets and fire crackers, among others.

For more information on Indiana's fireworks laws, visit

Fireworks in Chesterton

Residents of the Town of Chesterton are also reminded that the local ordinance governing fireworks use is more restrictive than the state law.

Under Chesterton Town Code, it is illegal to discharge fireworks at any time, with these exceptions:

* From June 29 through July 3, only between 5 p.m. until two hours after sunset.

* On July 4, from 10 a.m. until midnight.

* From July 5 through July 9, only between 5 p.m. until two hours after sunset..

The discharge of fireworks during any other times is a violation of Town Code and liable on first violation to a fine of $100.


Posted 6/16/2014