Chesterton Tribune

 

 

Avowed Imperial Gangster pleads guilty to murder, will cooperate in investigation

Back To Front Page

An avowed member of the Imperial Gangster street gang has agreed to cooperate with authorities in an ongoing investigation of criminal gangs, U.S. Attorney David Capp announced on Wednesday.

Raymond Campos pleaded guilty to racketeering conspiracy and--in a separate information--to murder in aid of racketeering activity, the latter in connection with the slaying of 14-year-old Steven Rodriguez in East Chicago on Feb. 9, 2002.

The Rodriguez homicide is the 20th previously uncharged homicide which the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Indiana has charged “in its ongoing efforts against organized street gangs, particularly the Imperial Gangsters and Latin Kings,” the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.

“It does not matter how long ago some of these homicides may have occurred,” Capp said. “We are actively investigating any number of cold homicides. When the evidence warrants, we will seek indictments. It is our intention to keep the pressure on these organized street gangs and hold them accountable for their criminal acts, regardless of when they occurred.”

Thirteen previously uncharged homicides attributed to the Imperial Gangsters--committed between February 2002 and June 2010--are now on the docket in federal court, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said. Eleven were committed in East Chicago, one in Gary, and one in Hammond.

Six additional previously uncharged homicides attributed to the Latin Kings--committed between December 2003 and April 2009--are also now on the docket. Two were committed in Griffith, two in Chicago, one in Hammond, and one in East Chicago.

This case is being investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, the East Chicago Police Department, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, with assistance from the Gary Police Department, the Hammond Police Department and the Lake County HIDTA.

 

 

Posted 9/5/2013