OSCEOLA, Ind. (AP) — Two pet dogs that began barking as flames and smoke
spread through a northern Indiana house awakened a family of five in time
for them to escape unharmed, a fire chief said.
Osceola Fire Chief Walter Tochman said the family initially tried to quiet
the dogs when they began barking about 3:40 a.m. Monday, but the pets only
became more agitated, leading the family to discover smoke that was
filling the house.
"They started a different kind of bark and whining, and that's what made
them look down the hall, and they saw the smoke," Tochman told the South
Bend Tribune (http://bit.ly/1cFE6bL ).
The homeowners escaped unhurt along with their daughter and two
grandchildren from the house in Osceola, about 10 miles east of South
Bend. Tochman declined to identify the family.
He said preliminary evidence indicates that an electrical problem may have
started the fire, which gutted the wood-frame home in a matter of minutes.
"I couldn't believe watching it go, it just went so fast," Tochman said.